1.7.09

Caneles!


So I've had a strange obsession with caneles (cannelles, cannelles) over the past few months. I can't explain the fascination with these crusty, chewy, custardy cakes from Bordeaux, it must just be my Francophilia kicking in. I finally splurged ,yes a $20 expenditure, for the silicone mold the Friday before last on Amazon (I couldn't afford the traditional copper molds with a ticket price of $20 each, that's what I call an HTI- high ticket item.) I bought all the ingredients for two different recipes and made the batter last Thursday in a classic case of putting the cart before the horse. See, I expected the mold to come on Friday and the batter needs to rest 24 hours prior to baking, so I thought I would be fully prepared when the mold came in and pop them in the oven.
However..... the mold did not arrive until the following Tuesday! Hoping the batter would still be useable (it was), I baked the first batch after midnight last night when I got home from work and finished the batter this morning.Lo and behold my first attempt at caneles! They were delicious. Carmelized and crusty on the outside and moist and custardy on the inside- not too sweet and bursting with vanilla and hints of dark rum, perfect with our morning coffee. Both recipes came out pretty good and tasted similar, though the Martha Stewart took about an hour longer to bake they held their shape a little better. Here is the Martha Stewart recipe from Lottie and Doof, and here is the Joann Coffino recipe I used from Chowhound, there are a few other recipes out there I'll have to try next. I have satisfied my fix for these Bordeaux delights for now, but will definitely be making these again soon!

No comments: