5.1.11

The Perfect Loaf

Like many of you, I'm sure, I am always searching for that perfect loaf of bread. You know it when you see it, and it varies for each of us. For me it's that dark brown carmelized crust, slightly shiny and pocked with tiny bubbles, whispy wings of crust where the loaf was scored and rose, dusted with tan flour that thumps when you flick the bottom. The epitome of the loaf you picture on the table of a French farmhouse surrounded by provencal delights of olives and cheeses, probably a knife with an olive wood handle on the table and pigs or goats blurry in the background out of focus. You see it and you know its going to have a holey crumb that's begging to be grilled and slathered with pate. That's my perfect loaf!
Here's my latest batch, which came out pretty darn close if you ask me. Naturally leavened by my own starter, also known around the house as my "pet yeast" because you have to feed and care for it. It's quite a responsibility actually, but like any other pet it also brings you great joy. It is a time consuming process as well. Start-to-finish this batch took about 18 hours. The results, however, speak for themselves and make it all worthwhile.
I used the dutch oven method for steaming the loaf, creating a miniature steam oven to produce the shiny, crispy crust and then removing the top to get that nice brown carmelization. After many previous trials of water soaked towels and spray bottles to no prevail, this really is the only method I have found to get that nice crust at home.
I baked a couple country loaves from Tartine Bread, the new cookbook from Chad Robertson and Eric Wolfinger at Tartine, a must have for any bread baker. When I saw the book I knew I had to have it, my perfect loaf was right there on the cover. I really love this book, the story, the layout, the pictures, and the recipes all do it for me. One day I will make the trek to San Francisco to visit the mecca, one day.
Anyway, super stoked about this batch of country loaf and baguettes. It's such a beautiful thing creating these seemingly simple works of art with your own hands. Dark, crunchy, crust with soft, moist, and yeasty interior with the faintest hint of sourdough. So tasty and flecked with those big air bubbles that crisp up on the grill. Add olive oil and you've got yourself a meal. It was so good we ate a loaf a day with every meal until it was gone. I did manage to freeze one and made paninis last night with our new panini press we got for Christmas, I expect we'll use it often!

If you have ever baked bread or been around fresh baked bread, there is a crackle that the bread makes as it cools- the "song of the bread" as the boys from Tartine called it. I never paid any attention before, maybe I was too caught up with life. I was so excited to hear this faint song as these loaves cooled it was a pure moment of joy. Listen for it next time, it is a sound from heaven.

No comments: