12.1.11

Capriole Farms

My latest obsession with goat cheese brought me to Capriole Farms in Greenville, IN , home of the Wabash Cannonball and My Old Kentucky Tomme. This was back in October while visiting the folks, who looked at me a little funny when I mentioned I wanted to visit a goat farm, but were good sports and tagged along anyway. I know, I'm a little behind with this post but I was just going through these pictures and wanted to share. First of all because the goats were so cute and awesome, and the cheese was pretty great too.

It's a beautiful farm started in the 70's by Judy Schad and her husband about 30 minutes outside of Louisville. I don't think they get many visitors because we had to hunt for someone to get a tasting, and they seemed suprised to see us. Once found, however, they were very accommodating and friendly. We tasted several cheeses including the above mentioned as well as the Juliana, O'Banon, Sofia, and a Fresh Goat Wasabi log.
These folks pride themselves in being all natural, humane, and sustainable- not for certification purposes or to brag, simply as a way of life. It definitely shows in the quality and taste of the cheeses. The O'Banon is covered in bourbon soaked chestnut leaves such as those from the south of France with a similar name, with a musty aroma and creamy, earthy interior- definitely tasting of the terroir of her land and Kentucky bourbon country. The Juliana is an aged raw milk cheese dusted with herbes de provence with a smooth, nutty texture and insusion of earthy herbal notes. The fresh goat cheese was creamy and smooth, melting in your mouth with a slight kick of wasabi- interesting, but not my cup of tea. The Sofia was dense and creamy with a wrinkely, ripened rind and layered with ash. All of the cheeses were delicious and unique with extraordinary texture and flavor.
Definitely recommend stopping by if you are in the area, or you can pick up some at the Bardstown Rd farmer's market. We grabbed a Juliana, Kentucky Tomme, and log of fresh goat and enjoyed it on the porch of the cabin later that night. Not before hitting Huber's Winery for a bottle of Chardonel, of course.

1 comment:

margot said...

I love their goat cheese, I have yet to go to the farm, but think I should now. We use their stuff at Bourbons.